Use of pesticides
When to apply pesticides
If you find 10 out of 50 randomly selected maize plants in your garden are affected then start spraying with the recommended dose of the right percentage.
For the pesticide to be effective you must spray early in the morning from 6:00 – 10:00am or late afternoon 4:00 – 7:00pm provided the conditions are favorable for spraying as they actively feed at night.
How to apply pesticides
- Put on protective wears when handling, mixing and applying the pesticides. These are: overalls. Goggles, gloves, boots and mask. It is also crucial to follow the instructions on the product label.
- Always use a clean pump and clean water for mixing the pesticides
- Spray using the cone-shaped nozzle as this will target the plant and maize funnel
- Remember the FAW caterpillars and eggs can be found anywhere on the maize plant, spray the whole plant and target the funnel where the caterpillars are usually found.
- Avoid spraying when it is windy or rain is imminent
How often to apply pesticides
Spray your crops and check for presence of caterpillars 4days after spraying. Continue monitoring for the presence of caterpillars.
If after 7-14days live caterpillars are identified in 10-50 randomly selected plants, re-spray with the same pesticide.
Two to three (2-3) times of spraying may be adequate in a maize season
Remember to alternate pesticides with different modes of action after every season to avoid development of pest resistance.
Guidelines on how to use Fall Army worm Pesticides
- In order to use pesticides, make sure you wear protective clothing such as: – goggles, mask, gloves, boots, caps and overalls. They should be worn when handling, mixing and applying the pesticides.
- It is important to note that chemicals are poisonous and they should be used carefully to prevent any occurrence of an accident.
- Make sure to use clean, well calibrated pumps and clean water when mixing the pesticides.
- It is recommended to use knapsacks for mixing and application of the pesticides rather than basins or buckets.
- It is important to follow the instructions on the pesticides to ensure you use the correct quantity during mixing.
- The pesticide containers should be opened with at most care to avoid spillage. In addition, there should be plenty of clean water and soap at the application site for emergency cleaning.
- The pesticides should be mixed in an open place to avoid accumulation of its fumes which are harmful.
- The pesticides should be mixed using a long stick or stirrer and not bare hands.
Safety precautions during application
- The pesticide should not be applied when it is windy or rainy.
- It is not advisable to eat, drink, use the phone or breastfeed during application to prevent contamination.
- If you feel unwell while in the process of spraying, it is advisable to stop it instantly and seek medical help.
- The pesticides should not be applied during or after harvesting, always check the instructions and pre-harvest interval.
- In the presence of an open wound, it is not advisable to spray unless it is properly dressed.
Precautions after application
- Gloves should be removed last after taking off all the other protective gears. Remember to rinse them before taking off.
- Empty pesticide containers should not be left lying in the environment, burnt or thrown in the pit latrines. This is because they can produce a harmful poisonous gas that is hazardous.
- Leftover chemicals in the pump should be sprayed in the land surrounding the crops.
- The empty pesticide containers should never be re-used or rinsed near a water source, instead they can be rinsed three times, punctured crushed and flattened. Moreover, the empty containers can also be returned to the agro-input dealers for disposal or incineration.